The smsmode© blog
The RCS arrives in France
The operators have launched their RCS pilots with messaging platforms such as smsmode©. The aim is to deploy the tool to brands in order to test it in real conditions. By September the product will be officially available in France. The Mobile Marketing Association already expects it to be compatible with more than 30,000,000 mobiles in France. We tell you more!
What is RCS?
The RCS for Rich Communication Services allows companies to send rich SMS 2.0. A wind of revolution is blowing on your communications! Carried by Google, new features "boost" the traditional SMS. Images, carousels, maps, videos, etc. are now exchanged between the brand and the consumer. The conversation window is in the company's colours with its contact information and a certified professional account.
The purpose of the RCS: to guide the consumer
The purpose of sending an RCS can be commercial (promotional offer, advertisement, etc.) or informative (confirmation of an appointment, payment, reservation, etc.). During an RCS conversation, buttons appear with predefined answers: the consumer only has to choose between several answers for a conversational pattern to be triggered. The idea behind RCS is simple: to save time, to guide the customer by involving them in a brand new marketing experience, SMS 2.0.
An A2P* and P2A** tool
*A2P (application to person): A2P is used when the brand initiates a conversation with a consumer (here, via a messaging system).
**P2A (person to application): we speak of P2A when it is the consumer who initiates contact with a brand (here, to a messaging system).
An RCS message is always first initiated by the brand via a Single Message (also known by its acronym "SM"). After the SM, a 24-hour session is opened during which exchanges take place: A2P SESSION.
If the consumer wishes to follow up with the brand, they can send a message back to the same conversation within 36 hours, resulting in a P2A SESSION.
RCS messages are sent via the IP protocol (4G and wifi). If a customer cannot receive an RCS, it is automatically transformed into a classic SMS.
Why RCS is an experiential marketing gem
RCS will revolutionize the customer experience. Here are the benefits of this messaging system:
- The fluidity of exchanges : acting as a real chatbot, the RCS is a tool of immediacy, automatism and reactivity. Each consumer choice leads to a response that can be extended to infinity, making it a complete customer-care tool.
- The various functionalities: images, carousels, buttons, calendar, payments, maps, etc. The only limit will be the creativity of the brand!
- More personalised contact: a customer-care tool par excellence, the sending of an RCS can be automated by the brand according to various events linked to its customers (birthdays, registration, personalised promotions, etc.).
- A doubled conversion rate: the first ROI estimates have been released and are more than satisfactory. The RCS tests established by MACIF reveal tripled click rates compared to classic SMS and a doubled conversion rate.
- Less pressure on support teams: the RCS is added to the support tools (chat, telephone, on-site FAQ, etc.), allowing physical teams to be relieved of the burden of traditional requests.