STOP SMS: what is it?
"STOP SMS" is a spam-fighting device that allows each recipient of SMS messages to have an easy way to oppose and/or unsubscribe from the sending list of the message sender.
In accordance with the GDPR's directives and to protect the consumer, this statement must be displayed for any SMS advertising campaign sent on a mobile phone.
Overview of the STOP SMS...
WHAT THE LAW SAYS...
Advertising text messages
The sending of advertising messages may not be carried out without an explicit prior agreement from the recipient. In addition, the CNIL imposes, in any SMS campaign of a commercial nature, the presence of a means of unsubscribe simple and free (thus not overtaxed), the "STOP SMS".
Informative text messages
In the case of sending a mobile message in the form of an informative text (example: Confirmation of appointments, follow-up of reservations, purchases or orders, alerts, sending of confirmation code,...), there is no obligation on the Presence of "STOP SMS" in the message.
In case of non-compliance
In the event of a complaint filed by a recipient of an abusive SMS message or a non-compliant promotional marketing campaign, the law provides for a fine of up to €20,000 against the spamming company. In other words: stay within the legal framework for your SMS prospecting!
- be vigilant when communicating your mobile phone number. You must be given the opportunity to agree (or not) to the commercial use of your personal data by the company collecting this information and possibly by its trading partners.
- send a message including the word "STOP" in the message to the short number (5-digit number) of the received SMS.
- If however you notice that the SMS received is abusive and undesirable and that the sender number is not present, you have the possibility to make a report for this SMS spam on the service 33700 provided for this purpose.
Access the voice and SMS spam platform
- to be in agreement with the legislation of advertising by SMS, you have the obligation to propose to the recipients of any sending of SMS of a commercial nature, the functionality of unsubscribe/unsubscribe simple by mentioning clearly at the end Message "STOP + short number" or a link to a page to unsubscribe (service for countries outside France). Caution If the word "STOP SMS" is not present, certain mobile operator reserves the right not to distribute your mobile advertising message. This feature is offered on our platform: Every request for unsubscribe, managed automatically by our system, excludes the number of the recipient by having made the request of your contact bases and therefore of any subsequent campaign.
- If you do not comply with this legal obligation, you will be liable to a fine of up to 20 000 € in case of complaint.
- On the other hand, if the SMS sent is informative, you do not have to add this word "STOP sms".
- The management of Unsubscribes is done automatically by our system. Thus, when receiving SMS containing a request for unsubscribe, the phone number is automatically deleted from your address book and you will not send him any commercial prospecting by SMS.
- STOP SMS is mandatory for any commercial SMS
- The simple approach for the recipient who has the possibility to no longer receive SMS by sending only "STOP" to the short number of the received message.
- Our platform automatically integrates the recipient's request, automatically deregisters it from the address carent and sends it an SMS confirmation of unsubscribe.